Monday, March 11, 2013

Back in the mists of time

I decided to walk back home from Slaithwaite to Marsden after I had dropped my car of off at the garage for its annual service.  Hoping for clear spring light, my original plan was to take my telescopic lens and camera with me to photograph birds by the canal.  It was not to be.  The weather was damp and misty, so I decided to make the most of the exercise instead and just take my Canon G10 with me in case there was anything to photograph.  In the lay-by on Manchester Road, opposite the road to Linfit Hall, I noticed and read a plaque about the Slaithwaite Spa Park, which existed from 1825 when the Hall and baths were built.  For over a century it provided recreation for the people, until 1939 when it was taken over by the armed forces as a training ground. 

The mist had taken out all the colour from the landscape and reading this history made me feel as if I had stepped back in time.  With my G10 the walk home took on a different purpose, I felt as if I was taking pictures of a familiar landscape as history, not as it is now.


View over Slaithwaite 
Lock 24E at Slaithwaite

Canal in the direction of West Slaithwaite

The Mill at Cellars Clough


No comments:

Post a Comment